BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 12, 2010

A Grateful Heart

I wouldn't trade what I do for anything in the world. It feeds my soul in every hippy-dippy way imaginable. I, essentially, get paid to sing, dance and play dress up. I get to walk out on stage and entertain people. It doesn't matter what kind of show I'm doing or how long or short it is. From the time the lights come up on stage, to the time the final curtain closes, I get the unique privilege of taking the people in that audience on a journey. Sometimes I make them laugh, sometimes I make them cry. Sometimes they are impressed by the spectacle of the lights, the pyro or the sound system booming around them. But every single time, those people filling the seats of the auditorium get to forget about whatever it is that is going on in their lives and for a short time, simply sit back and be entertained. It is so very humbling to know that I get to spend my life making this kind of an impact on thousands upon thousands of people.

Doing what I do, I get the opportunity to travel, spend time in amazing places I would have never thought to visit, and meet incredible people from all different walks of life in the process. It is so invigorating to be living here in the Kaigandori House surrounded by passionate, quirky and slightly eccentric performers from all over the globe. My cast has already become my family. So long as there is not any kind of childish and petty competition going on (which thankfully, there isn't here with my Monsters cast), performers are very good at taking care of each other. We have to be. We're gypsies who are constantly leaving our friends and family behind, so we bond deeply and immediately in order to support each other and fill up those lonely places in our lives. We have new and exciting experiences together as we explore our new surroundings and create memories that will become the stories we tell for the rest of our lives. How many people get the opportunity to lead such a unique life?

I count myself incredible blessed to have the talent, the opportunity and the freedom to take advantage of every adventure that presents itself. I am at the very brink of this chapter in Japan and I can already tell this is going to be a time that has incredible impact on me and shapes my life. Working in a theme park is going to build up my stamina and endurance. Doing 5 and 6 high energy rock n' roll shows in a day is going to challenge me as a singer, dancer, performer and artist. I'll do this show more than any other show I've done up to this point in my life. I'm going to have to learn to reinvent it and give each audience the maximum experience they deserve. My ability to persevere is going to be stretched and forced to grow simply in the fact that I will be in one place for 13 months. (That may not seem like a big deal, but it is a challenge for one such as myself who has the spirit of a wanderer.) I have this time away from home to make some decisions about what I want my life to look like when I do come back. This job is affording me the opportunity to return home debt free and start my life in any city, focus and direction that I please. I am meeting people here that will help to shape me as a person, an artist and an individual. This year is going to be one of tremendous growth.


I am simply overwhelmed with gratitude.

0 comments: