BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 22, 2010

Superfans

On the first day of our orientation here at USJ, we were told that Monsters was one of the most popular shows in the park. We were told that there were people who came weekly, daily and sometimes hourly to see our production. We were told that they would get to know the routes we take through the park to get to and from our venue. We were told they would try to offer us gifts and that it was in our best interest to politely decline.

It is one thing to hear about the superfans. It is another thing entirely to experience the superfans firsthand. Our first show on Saturday really opened my eyes to the phenomenon. I was surprised and bewildered when I realized that most of the people in the first 4 or 5 rows of the audience were doing every step of the choreography with us from their seats. At first it surprised me and took me out of my show for a moment. I quickly regained focus when I realized that these people probably knew the show better than I did at this point, and that I had better get it right because they would be sure to know if I missed anything.

The next show came, and I saw many of the same faces in those first few rows. This started to make me even more nervous for a moment, but the anxiety passed when I realized how much they were enjoying it. Everywhere I looked in the 800 seat house, there was a sea of faces smiling from ear to ear, clapping and singing along with the music. They are incredibly fun to perform for because they LOVE the show so much. Every single superfan in the audience knew that we were a brand new cast. Everybody came with eager expectation to meet the new group and choose their favorite monsters from this year's lineup. I was baffled when friends posted links on my facebook page to superfan's blogs which had already been inundated with beautiful photos from that day's performances.

It's strange. I had been told that there was a celebrity status of sorts here in Osaka linked with being a USJ performer. I have never felt more like a rock star in my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being chased by screaming fans and paparazzi, (or whatever the japanese word for paparazzi might be,) but I do notice people watching me as I walk through the park. I was even stopped for a photograph with a fan's young daughter on my second day of performances. I was dumbfounded that this woman could recognize me under the low brim of my hat and sweats. It's such a drastic difference from the dramatic make-up, massive curly wig, fishnets and high heeled boots I wear in the show. Not to mention the fact that I had only appeared 4 times total on the UML stage and I was ALREADY being recognized. It's flattering, to say the least.

I don't understand how a 20 minute show in a theme park can bring people so much joy that it keeps them coming back time, after time, after time. Part of me wonders what may be missing from their lives that they assign such a significant role to the Monsters show and the performers in it. But then, I remember that people like the superfans are the reason I do what I do. If coming into a crowded theme park and watching me sing "I Will Survive" 5 times a day brings a little sunshine into the lives of these people, then I gladly give them my all at every single performance. After all, their smiles, cheering and applause bring more joy to my heart than would probably make sense to most people. Who am I to judge?

0 comments: